St Bartholomew’s Episcopal Church was officially organized as a mission congregation of the Church of the Good Shepard on November 23, 1959 by Bishop Everett Holland Jones. The Reverend Hollier G. Tomlin, a deacon at the time, was put in charge of developing a new congregation and held the first service at All Saints’ Episcopal Church.
Beginning in January, 1960, services were held in the cafetorium of Cullen Junior High School. On March 3, 1963 a groundbreaking ceremony, celebrated by Bishop Jones, was held on the present property donated by the Heldenfels family. Bishop Jones and R. Earl Dicus dedicated the building on October 27, 1963. Reverend Tomlin later was called as its first rector after St. Bartholomew’s was approved to become a parish in 1964.
We believe in one God, The Father, The Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth, of all that is, seen and unseen.
We believe in one God who created all things.
We believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and that Jesus, while fully God, took upon himself man’s humanity.
We believe in Jesus’ death and resurrection and hold Easter to be the great celebration upon which the Church is built.
We believe that the Holy Spirit proceeds from God and is the third person of the Trinity, sent to man as the revealer of God’s will.
We believe that the Holy Scriptures are the Word of God and contain all things necessary for salvation.
We believe that God calls us to be continual examples of Christian love and behavior, and still He forgives us when we fall short of the mark.
We believe that God loves us unceasingly and desires each one of us to live in His love.
Our vision is that we become a welcoming Christian community, loving God and loving others through Christ